Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chipotle Barbacoa Bowls with Cilantro Brown Rice and Corn Salsa (Gluten-Free)


Who doesn't love Chipotle, right? Even my picky kids can find something to eat at Chipotle. But most of the meat is a little on the spicy side for them, and feeding a family of 5 there isn't what I'd call cheap. So we're having our own homemade chipotle night at home, and the best part is the leftovers that we can eat for days. Yum!

The first thing I do is get the beef ready in the crockpot, but I'll post that later once it's all done and I have pics. Next I make the salsa so it has time to sit in the fridge and blend all the flavors together. Here is the corn salsa recipe...
Ingredients:
  • -1 can corn or about 14-15 oz. of frozen/cut off the cob corn
  • -1 diced tomato
  • -1/2 diced red onion
  • -1 or 2 jalapeƱos (depending on your spice preference)
  • -2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • -juice of 1.5 limes
  • -salt and pepper to taste
Now this is very easy- you just chop it all up and combine in a medium size bowl.

Now onto the rice. I prefer to use brown rice but you can also use white or basmati. I prefer the stiffer consistency of the brown, and of course it's better for you.

Ingredients:
  • - 1 cup brown rice
  • -3 tbsp. butter or oil
  • - 2 cups water
  • - juice of 1/2 lime
  • -1 tsp. salt
  • -3 tbsp. chopped cilantro

Directions:
1. Cook rice in water and butter until tender and fluffy. Remove from heat.
2. Add lime juice, salt and cilantro and stir.

So easy!

All that's left is the barbacoa beef. I make this in the slow cooker but you could also make in pressure cooker I guess. It has to cook until the beef is easily shredded with a fork, about 7-8 hours. It calls for 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, but you have to buy a whole can, so my tip is to put the rest in a small freezer bag and freeze until you need them again. They're not something I cook with often so they go bad if I keep in the refrigerator.

Ingredients:
  • -2-3 lbs. beef round or bottom roast
  • -5 cloves garlic
  • - medium chopped onion
  • - juice of 1/2 lime
  • -2-3 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
  • -1 tbsp. cumin
  • -1 tbsp. oregano
  • -3 bay leaves
  • -1 cup water
  • -salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Place all ingredients except bay leaves and roast in food processor until pureed.
2. Place Roast in slow cooker and pour mixture on top.  Add bay leaves and cook on low 7-8 hours until beef is shred able with fork.
3. Remove bay leaves and shred beef on a plate then return to sauce in slow cooker and cook and additional hour or so.
4. Serve with rice and beans or on tacos.

My kids prefer tacos to bowls so I always heat up some corn tortillas for them to eat. I also but the queso or Mexican shredded cheese versus cheddar to really get that Chipotle feel. I serve with the all natural sour cream and On the Border tortilla chips, or I fry my own with the corn tortillas.

This recipe was featured in Two Magical Moms March Menu Madness.  Check out the entire menu and try out some of our other YUMMY recipes!




1 comment: