Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ham and Cheese Calzones


I love to make calzones because I love that there are endless possibilities as to what you can stuff inside them.  Another reason that I love them is that you can serve them for lunch, dinner, or a game day snack.  
Some of my favorite combinations are Turkey and Pepper Jack Cheese, Ham and Monterrey Jack, Pepperoni and Mozzarella, and Salami and Provolone. Today I made mine with  Ham and Monterrey Jack cheese.  I often make extra of these and stick in the freezer for a quick snack or lunch.  
Ingredients:
  • About 3/4 of a pound of Sliced Deli Ham
  • 1 8 oz block of Monterrey Jack Cheese- Shredded
  • Ranch Dressing
  • Your Favorite Pizza Dough recipe ( I will give you mine soon) Store bought dough works just as well

After making the dough and letting it rise a little bit, I divided it into two pieces. Having smaller pieces makes it easier to ensure that it cooks all the way through.  I rolled the dough out on the counter top with a little bit of flour.  I then placed a layer of ham, a layer of shredded cheese, and a small layer of Ranch Dressing.
I then rolled it up into a log form and gently pressed the seams together.  I recommend not making the logs any larger than 14 inches long otherwise the middle may take too long to cook and the outside will get overdone.  I brushed the top dough with melted butter to ensure a golden crust.  Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.  Baking times will vary based on the size of the calzone and the thickness of the dough.
The combination of the Ham, Cheese, and Ranch is AMAZING!  I am so glad that I made extra!
This Calzone was the perfect addition to the Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup that I made today as well.

This recipe was featured in Two Magical Moms March Menu Madness.  Check out the entire menu and try out some of our other YUMMY recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment