Thursday, May 2, 2013

Zucchini Chips with Chive and Onion Dipping Sauce

I have been eating zucchini since I was a kid.  My mom used to bread it and fry it.  She and I were the only ones in my house that ate it and I always thought of it as a treat when zucchinis were in season.  Now I buy them at the grocery store year round.  Scott was my first family member that I brought to the delicious zucchini loving side.  But now after only a few tries I have captured my mother in law too!  I have to admit... I am quite proud of myself for that one:)

Ingredients:
  • Zucchini
  • Egg White
  • Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Sea Salt
  • Fresh Ground Pepper
  • Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Chive and Onion Dipping Sauce
  • 2 Wedges of Laughing Cow Chive and Onion Cheese
  • 4 Tablespoons of Light Sour Cream
  • 1-2 Tablespoons of Milk
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon of Onion Powder
  • A couple Pinches of Dried Parsley
Combine dipping sauce ingredients in a small food processor.  Add the milk a little at a time to get desired consistency.  Remember it will thicken as it sets in the fridge so start with one tablespoon and add more later.  

Cut zucchini into slices.  I usually cut them a little less than 1/2 inch.  Place them in a colander and sprinkle with a little sea salt.  Place them in the refrigerator with a bowl under the colander,  This will allow the zucchini to release water and the bread crumbs will stick better.  
After about 30 minutes in the fridge, lay the zucchini on a paper towel to remove excess water.  Preheat oven to 400.  Lightly whisk egg white.  Put about 3/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs on a plate.  Dip each slice of zucchini in the egg white and then into the bread crumbs and place them on a greased (with olive oil cooking spray) cookie sheet.  Once they are all breaded lightly sprinkle them with pepper and grate a little parmesan cheese on top.

Bake for about 18-20 minutes.  Serve right away with chive and onion dipping sauce.

This recipe was featured on the Marvelous May Menu, be sure to check out the rest of the May Menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment