Saturday, November 16, 2013

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

Yesterday, I was in need of an idea for the bake sale.  I only had a few hours to work with and I did not want to go to the grocery store.  I looked in the pantry and saw that I had a couple of boxes of cake mix and icing.  I wanted to make something a little more fun than regular cupcakes.  I decided to bake the cupcakes in Ice Cream Cones.  I only had 18 ice cream cones on hand so I made a mix of those and regular cupcakes.
Now I will also tell you that I am not perfect.  Sometimes things just don't go as I had planned and yesterday's baking was one of those times.  I wasn't quite sure how long to bake the cupcake cones.  I had made these before but couldn't remember exactly the baking time.  When I took them out of the oven to check them, the cones tipped over.  Clearly they were not done because the batter spilled out of them.  First batch=FAIL! I didn't let it discourage me (mainly because I didn't have any choice this was baking with a purpose not for fun).  I started a new batch.  This time I placed the cones in muffin tin for a little more support.  I also knew that I needed to bake them longer before checking them.  When all was said and done, they were cute!  I had a few less than I had hoped, but all in all it was fine.

Ingredients:
  • Box of Favorite Cake Mix prepared according to package
  • Favorite Icing
  • Sprinkles
  • 24 Ice Cream Cones (the flat bottom kind)
Make cake mix according to package.  Place ice cream cones in muffin tin and fill about 2/3 of the way to the top.  Do as I say not as I did in picture.  I filled mine just a little too full.   Bake at 350 for 14-16 mins.  Let them cool completely, add icing, and sprinkles.  
 I needed a way to transport them, so I cut holes in a thick piece of card stock and placed them in a tin plate.  It worked pretty well, but I am still looking for a better method.  Maybe in individual cups?  If you have any ideas let me know.  These were a HUGE hit at the bake sale and I would like to make them again.  

Follow the Magical Moms on Facebook and Pinterest for weekly menu ideas, crafts, and Disney Magic.  


No comments:

Post a Comment